Skip to main content

Putting Your Best FoxFace On

I've always been a bit troubled by "skins", the way that many consumer or hard-core geeky tools (WinAmp was one of the more popular ones) allow users to apply skins. Not to say I don't like them ( I like a good Star Trek Skin- but I can certainly understand how they can confuse other users.

That said, I'm intrigued by this new tool for Visual FoxPro 7 through 9.
FoxFace - skin VisualFoxPro (VFP) applications with our VCX class, VFP skin, Visual FoxPro skin, skin Visual FoxPro, skin VFP - the downloadable demo is unfortunately terrible (it only shows one skin and doesn't size properly on a 1024x800 resolution) - but they do have a nice presentation on how to use it here

For $59 US, if you wanted to let your users "skin" your app themselves, they can do so. Has anyone tried this out in a real application yet?

In looking at the demo, there appears to be a FOXFACE table that contains the skin ID, name, author and email and then a variety of fields that look like they point to image types and the actual binary file.

Adding skins to a project looks pretty easy. Add the FoxFace class library to the project and drop it onto a form (or base class).

Specify the path to the class (it defaults to LIB) and then specify the Skin ID. Then compile and run.

There is also a class to let you skin the FoxPro desktop.

Whoops? Does that mean I can't change skins on the fly? That's too bad. It's hard to tell from the demo because the Skin IDs are built in - but since it's a class, I'm sure you could simply recall a method.

Now the sample skins they provide only show color and bitmap changes - couldn't users get the same effect through Windows Themes? I suppose - although this way, you could offer it specifically for your application, a nice way of letting users add their own personal touch.

Hmmm...skins in business applications- is it a good idea? Personal expression aside, I'm still deciding...but it's good to know there's a VFP tool out there for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas

Whether you celebrate now, have already celebrated your past holiday, are planning to, or not, I hope you find yourself surrounded by family and those you love during this holiday season and are able to remember fondly those who are not with you. We often find ourselves buried in work, or too distracted by other problems, to share and remember a few moments with those closest to us. So many of us are separated by huge distances, we often find it easier to focus on those who are out of arm's reach yet so easy to connect with online, instead of those who are right beside us. So do yourself a favour, put down the keyboard (stylus, mouse, etc) and spend that time. I know I will. Merry Christmas. Powered by ScribeFire .

Who Wants To Be Logical? I Do! I Don't! (with Claude)

In my book, Towards Consciousness, I explore PET , a theory that attempts to explain consciousness and possibly how it might apply to AI. As part of the conversations with AI series, I've included this conversation with Claude.AI in which we were talking about something very different and yet the conversation redirected itself back to PET. For the record, there is no such thing as "Colfsity". A It's interesting to me that people want to proclaim their distinction from being rigid and unlike machines, yet they also complain that the "best" people keep a rigid schedule, regular routines and logic understanding of issues. That's a perceptive observation about a real tension in how people think about themselves and what they value. There does seem to be this paradox where rigidity is simultaneously rejected as "robotic" or inhuman, yet praised when it appears as discipline, consistency, or logical thinking. I think part of what's happening is t...

Comparing education systems based on their technology

(yes, I originally found this blog because of Scoble's note on it BUT it was kind of interesting all the same) Read Alex Mallet's summary of his first week at MIT. Malletrivia: Summary of the first complete week Wow - "There's an incredible amount of material packed into each lecture" - and it sounds interesting... Compared to some of the lecture content I have seen at our universities, you really must get what you pay for. While it sounds like Alex is writing frantically down notes in his classes, at least he's finding something worth writing about in them. Case in point: one of our local universities ( Carleton ) puts some lecture classes on the TV (like many universities do) - but you would think they purposely find the most boring professors to teach them. They put up PowerPoint slides with 30 points on them, speak in monotone voice (yes, imagine the typical caricature of the university lecture from years ago), tell the students to print their...