Skip to main content

Safari Bookshelf: Offsetting the huge price of IT books

MSDN recently offered a special offering to MSDN Subscribers, providing access to Safari Bookshelf, an online repository of more than 1,500 fully-searchable technical books. I can't provide the link since it requires you to login so I'll just direct you to the Safari Books Online site to start.
However, you can also try it for 14 days on O'Reilly's portal and InformIT.

While many will recoil at the thought of reading an actual book online (I, too, prefer to have a hard copy for some reading efforts), the ability to have

The Safari premise is fairly straight forward:
1. Buy a monthly subscription ($14.95 gets you 10 slots but the MSDN trial was giving 20)
2. For that month, you receive "slots" on your bookshelf. You can purchase more if you are a voracious reader.
3. During the month, you can pick any book from the 1,500 they have, all nicely categorized into tech topics.
4. You can preview the books but if you want to read the entire content, you have to add it to your bookshelf. (note: some larger books take up more than 1 slot - reminds me of Columbia house))
5. Books on your bookshelf must remain on the bookshelf for a minimum of 30 days. But unless you're in the habit of reading a book a day, (you know for those who read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged in 3 hours ), that should be plenty of time.

The collection is pretty extensive. It includes Addison Wesley, O'Reilly and even a few from Microsoft Press (although I'm still waiting for Code Complete 2 to appear). I'm still waiting for a response from their support team (5 days and counting) but I've grabbed a few books and while it takes some getting used to, being able to cut and paste out of the books for code samples and also to cross-reference sources is a huge benefit.

I would be interested in knowing though - I would hope the authors get royalties on "borrowed books" but I would doubt it. But if you know for sure, drop me a line and let me know.

The cost may appear steep. But I noticed that Craig is reading a book a month
so if that's the case, the low subscription fee is almost a steal.

I'll have to see if I still think so after my 30 days are up.

Safari Books Online

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas

Whether you celebrate now, have already celebrated your past holiday, are planning to, or not, I hope you find yourself surrounded by family and those you love during this holiday season and are able to remember fondly those who are not with you. We often find ourselves buried in work, or too distracted by other problems, to share and remember a few moments with those closest to us. So many of us are separated by huge distances, we often find it easier to focus on those who are out of arm's reach yet so easy to connect with online, instead of those who are right beside us. So do yourself a favour, put down the keyboard (stylus, mouse, etc) and spend that time. I know I will. Merry Christmas. Powered by ScribeFire .

Who Wants To Be Logical? I Do! I Don't! (with Claude)

In my book, Towards Consciousness, I explore PET , a theory that attempts to explain consciousness and possibly how it might apply to AI. As part of the conversations with AI series, I've included this conversation with Claude.AI in which we were talking about something very different and yet the conversation redirected itself back to PET. For the record, there is no such thing as "Colfsity". A It's interesting to me that people want to proclaim their distinction from being rigid and unlike machines, yet they also complain that the "best" people keep a rigid schedule, regular routines and logic understanding of issues. That's a perceptive observation about a real tension in how people think about themselves and what they value. There does seem to be this paradox where rigidity is simultaneously rejected as "robotic" or inhuman, yet praised when it appears as discipline, consistency, or logical thinking. I think part of what's happening is t...

Comparing education systems based on their technology

(yes, I originally found this blog because of Scoble's note on it BUT it was kind of interesting all the same) Read Alex Mallet's summary of his first week at MIT. Malletrivia: Summary of the first complete week Wow - "There's an incredible amount of material packed into each lecture" - and it sounds interesting... Compared to some of the lecture content I have seen at our universities, you really must get what you pay for. While it sounds like Alex is writing frantically down notes in his classes, at least he's finding something worth writing about in them. Case in point: one of our local universities ( Carleton ) puts some lecture classes on the TV (like many universities do) - but you would think they purposely find the most boring professors to teach them. They put up PowerPoint slides with 30 points on them, speak in monotone voice (yes, imagine the typical caricature of the university lecture from years ago), tell the students to print their...