Skip to main content

DevCon Keynote Cleanup

Wow - over two hours of almost pure demos ...what a great opening to what I'm sure will be a great conference!
 
Ken finished going through VFP Resources, including the web site, whitepapers and blogs. Also referring to new books and magazines:
 
FoxPro Advisor Magizine (www.foxproadvisor.com) 
A new book: New In Nine: VFP's Latest Hits (www.hentzenwerke.com)
UniversalThread.com (www.universalthread.com)
 
Pricing: Same as VFP 8
Always included in MSDN Subscriptions
 
Enjoy your VFP 9.0 jelly cell pads - don't use it as a mouse pad!
 
Summary and Call to Action
Not released yet - but grab the beta - it works with VFP 8
There will not be a refresh to the beta before the release
Report any issues
VFP 9 works better with SQL Server
VFP 9 works great with DotNet
Scheduled for Q4 2004 Release
 
Then of course, Ken wanted to leave with a bang with some ideas of things they are working on....(not for 9 but after)
 
User can type in "my" and it shows a submenu of applications, options and other details.
My User Identity - and it automatically replaces that text with SYS(0)
 
A content list of blocked code that could be used to help write new code. You choose the activity (like Browsing an XML column) and it automatically puts in the code. This is very similar to Intellisense but it makes the writing of the code much faster.
 
Intellisense in FoxPro against the DotNet XML component. You can work directly with the DotNet object in VFP.
 
Goal: Allow Fox developers to access DotNet components within FoxPro.
 
First real mention of DotNet : 2 hrs and 20 minutes into the keynote.
 
Looks like this keynote will go for a full 2.5 hours.
 
Finished off with a video of Kiss!
 
Yag - Thank you Las Vegas! Good night!
 

Comments

Ted Roche said…
Excellent summaries, Andrew, thanks! Any word on official attendence figures?

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas

Whether you celebrate now, have already celebrated your past holiday, are planning to, or not, I hope you find yourself surrounded by family and those you love during this holiday season and are able to remember fondly those who are not with you. We often find ourselves buried in work, or too distracted by other problems, to share and remember a few moments with those closest to us. So many of us are separated by huge distances, we often find it easier to focus on those who are out of arm's reach yet so easy to connect with online, instead of those who are right beside us. So do yourself a favour, put down the keyboard (stylus, mouse, etc) and spend that time. I know I will. Merry Christmas. Powered by ScribeFire .

Who Wants To Be Logical? I Do! I Don't! (with Claude)

In my book, Towards Consciousness, I explore PET , a theory that attempts to explain consciousness and possibly how it might apply to AI. As part of the conversations with AI series, I've included this conversation with Claude.AI in which we were talking about something very different and yet the conversation redirected itself back to PET. For the record, there is no such thing as "Colfsity". A It's interesting to me that people want to proclaim their distinction from being rigid and unlike machines, yet they also complain that the "best" people keep a rigid schedule, regular routines and logic understanding of issues. That's a perceptive observation about a real tension in how people think about themselves and what they value. There does seem to be this paradox where rigidity is simultaneously rejected as "robotic" or inhuman, yet praised when it appears as discipline, consistency, or logical thinking. I think part of what's happening is t...

Programmers vs. Developers vs. Architects

I received an email this morning from Brandon Savage 's newsletter. Brandon's a PHP guru (works at Mozilla) but his newsletter and books have some great overall perspectives for developers of all languages. However, this last one (What's the difference between developers and architects?) kind of rubs me the wrong way. Either that, or I've just missed the natural inflation of job descriptions. (maybe, it's like the change in terminology between Garbage man and Waste Engineer or Secretary and Office Administrator) So maybe it's just me - but I think there's still a big difference between Programmer, Developer and then of course, architect. The key thing here is that every role has a different perspective and every one of those perspectives has value. The original MSF create roles like Product Manager, Program Manager, Developer, Tester, etc - so every concept may pigeon hole people into different roles. But the statements Brandon makes are often distinction...