Skip to main content

Tweet, tweet, twitter , twitter

Rick Strahl writes up his thoughts on Twitter - Twitter this, Twitter that... - Rick Strahl's Web Log

I've been on Twitter for a while as well (started for keeping up with Newsgator and BuzzOutLoud items) and completely agree with his quote:
"Since I'm a single developer shop and live in sort of a bubble on a far away island (or a small town on the mainland when I'm back there) Twitter is  providing a little more sense of being a part of greater community to me."

(albeit, I'm not on an island but then...we all can't be so lucky)

For those who aren't familiar with Twitter, it's a microblog (limited to 140 character posts) where you follow (and are followed) others.  Just as blogs have their "if I was a tree" posters, they also have some really insightful "twitterers".

People post just about anything on twitter so it can seem weird in some cases. I typically identify with those posts about "checking in lots of code" or the feeling of triumph "I am an XML god" after resolving a particular problem.

( someone did note that I was particularly "busy" twittering when in fact, I had only posted a few times - but to those who are unfamiliar with updating their "state" regularly, it does appear as you are "busy" - especially on tools like Facebook where your latest twitter can appear.)

While there definitely can be a lot of noise,  I find Twitter particularly useful for connecting to other things that are of interest where a blog post would be overkill.
Some examples:
  I found jquery.com based on Rick's single tweet "this is how it should be".
  Evernote - found via Rhonda Tipton  - as opposed to the various media reviews
  a number of great links on innovative writing , development videos, development concepts ( I follow devs who do just about every kind of dev, not just VFP) and hey, you can even help others with their writing.

It's also a great way of announcing posts of interest to others that may be outside your direct circle.

Many people like to keep their blogs very specific to a particular topic - twitter allows those people to still point to items that are out of that specialty but may still be of interest.

As a client - Myself, I use twhirl, which has made using Twitter very fast and easy.

I think I may start reducing the number of "noise" blogs I subscribe to since those "noise-makers" typically "tweet" as well.

Can it be a time-waster? Yes - but that's what discipline is for. For me, it sits in the background (I don't use the SMS features - part of what makes Twitter so popular) - but if someone posts to me directly (which they can with an @akseloft), I am told about it - and otherwise I can just quickly review.

140 characters also forces you to be fairly succinct in your posts...now please excuse me while I tweet that "I am posting a post on twitter" <bg>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs and RSS come to Microsoft.com

MS has just introduced their portal and it's pretty comprehensive. Nothing quite like learning that some people use AIM instead of MSN messenger, or that there really may be a need for supporting 4 monitors ( Cyrus Complains ) However, it's really a great sign that MS is serious about supporting the blogging community which seems to have um, exploded in size in the past year. Blogs and RSS come to Microsoft.com

FoxInCloud Stats

FoxInCloud sent this link a while back about their statistics regarding visits to their site: http://foxincloud.com/blog/2017/12/27/VFP-community-lessons-from-foxincloud-site.html What's interesting here is the breakdown of people. Yes, I think it's understandable that the Fox community is getting older. Another factor is the growth of the mobile and web environments taking over development. These environments really do push people towards the newer non-SQL or free SQL/hosted environments but more towards hosted storage options like Amazon and Google. A tool like FoxInCloud that helps MOVE existing applications to the cloud inherently competes with those environments. But FoxInCloud also allows developers to extend their application further by giving them a starting point using Javascript and the basic CSS (such as Bootstrap). If you're not rebuilding your application from scratch, it's certainly a great step forward. FoxPro VFP

5 Great Reasons to attend Virtual FoxFest

What's coming up? Virtual FoxFest is coming up soon (sessions start October 14th). Like last year, the conference is entirely virtual yet includes great breakdown rooms and sessions to add that nice one-on-one feel that you get in person. It's also staggered so you can choose which days you want to attend - October 14th, 20th and 26th. This is great if you can't break away for a consecutive three days. But really, I've gone through the sessions and I see five great sessions that I'm eager to check out. 1. A Decade of Thor (Rick Schummer) Thor has been an extension for Visual FoxPro that many developers swear by, yet many don't know even exists. Visual FoxPro's built-in extensions are great but Jim Nelson's Thor supercharges your IDE. I can't believe it's been ten years - so Rick's session should be able to not just whet your appetite but give you all the reasons you should be using it. 2. VFP C++ compiler.  Last year, we saw DotNetX as well