Skip to main content

MVC architecture and VFP on Rails

After hearing about Brian's speech to the Chicago Fox User Group and then reading more from Randy Jean's Blog: Exploring VFP on Rails, I just wanted to try it on my own.



Randy's post goes into a lot of great detail with some code, so I'll let you read it there but the benefit of VFP in a Rails style environment is that it's SUPER easy to create an application to get you started: create a web share and register a single very small COM server. That's it.



And then you can customize it on the fly.



I know of a few developers who downplay the "buzz" of Rails, noting that it's not as scalable as some environments or that all of the tools just aren't there. 37Signals, part of the group that created RubyonRails or at least made it super popular with their BaseCamp and other related sites, addressed this in their Getting Real book - with their approach of interface first, then worry about scalability. (you can read it online here) - the main take-away from that was:



"If you’ve got a huge number of people overloading your system then huzzah!

That’s one swell problem to have. The truth is the overwhelming

majority of web apps are never going to reach that stage."



Many VFP developers may cringe at that approach - you should plan for scalability - but one can't argue with the success that this company has had with it and if you can build in new features in days instead of months, it might be worthwhile.



I'm going to be interviewing Brian for an upcoming FoxShow and we'll also do a screencast along with it. And no, it won't take 12 months for a new FoxShow <g> - it will be up by mid-next week.









Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Anonymous said…
VFP developers have been accepting low scalability for their web apps, like with Ruby, for years by using file-based West Wind webconnection. Anybody that has a really busy site using that technology knows the pain..

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas

Whether you celebrate now, have already celebrated your past holiday, are planning to, or not, I hope you find yourself surrounded by family and those you love during this holiday season and are able to remember fondly those who are not with you. We often find ourselves buried in work, or too distracted by other problems, to share and remember a few moments with those closest to us. So many of us are separated by huge distances, we often find it easier to focus on those who are out of arm's reach yet so easy to connect with online, instead of those who are right beside us. So do yourself a favour, put down the keyboard (stylus, mouse, etc) and spend that time. I know I will. Merry Christmas. Powered by ScribeFire .

Who Wants To Be Logical? I Do! I Don't! (with Claude)

In my book, Towards Consciousness, I explore PET , a theory that attempts to explain consciousness and possibly how it might apply to AI. As part of the conversations with AI series, I've included this conversation with Claude.AI in which we were talking about something very different and yet the conversation redirected itself back to PET. For the record, there is no such thing as "Colfsity". A It's interesting to me that people want to proclaim their distinction from being rigid and unlike machines, yet they also complain that the "best" people keep a rigid schedule, regular routines and logic understanding of issues. That's a perceptive observation about a real tension in how people think about themselves and what they value. There does seem to be this paradox where rigidity is simultaneously rejected as "robotic" or inhuman, yet praised when it appears as discipline, consistency, or logical thinking. I think part of what's happening is t...

Comparing education systems based on their technology

(yes, I originally found this blog because of Scoble's note on it BUT it was kind of interesting all the same) Read Alex Mallet's summary of his first week at MIT. Malletrivia: Summary of the first complete week Wow - "There's an incredible amount of material packed into each lecture" - and it sounds interesting... Compared to some of the lecture content I have seen at our universities, you really must get what you pay for. While it sounds like Alex is writing frantically down notes in his classes, at least he's finding something worth writing about in them. Case in point: one of our local universities ( Carleton ) puts some lecture classes on the TV (like many universities do) - but you would think they purposely find the most boring professors to teach them. They put up PowerPoint slides with 30 points on them, speak in monotone voice (yes, imagine the typical caricature of the university lecture from years ago), tell the students to print their...