Skip to main content

Help Builder Preview Posted

Is there any developer who has to build help for their products who hasn't tried West-Wind Help Builder?



The ability to quickly create developer help from your Visual FoxPro projects and DotNet aside - this tool just makes it very easy to build help.



I've played with Robohelp (older versions) and I couldn't handle it - I don't want a Word clone to build my help file - I want a tool that looks like the help file as I'm building it and that's exactly what Help Builder does.



Plus, the integration with SnagIt rocks!



I'm especially excited about 4.40 (that Rick Strahl just posted about) though because it helps deal with posting the HTML help to non-Windows-based servers. We have recently hooked up with a hosting site that gives us pretty much unlimited storage for our files and so I've posted our help files up there. Only problem? It's linux-based so everything is case-sensitive and doesn't like \ for path modifiers. Until recently, I've had to be extra careful with my Help Builder projects - hopefully not anymore!



If you have never tried this tool, you owe it to yourself and your customers to use it!





Help Builder 4.40 Preview Update Posted - Rick Strahl's Web Log



Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Rick Strahl said…
Andrew, let me know how the Linux upload stuff goes. I have no easy way to test this and there's been no feedback, so if you run into any issues be sure to let me know...

Actually I put this in on the insistence of one of our customers who was uh a little adament about this - but this is really only the 2nd or third time I've heard about this...

Sometimes it pays to speak up about the 'wish list'...

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas

Whether you celebrate now, have already celebrated your past holiday, are planning to, or not, I hope you find yourself surrounded by family and those you love during this holiday season and are able to remember fondly those who are not with you. We often find ourselves buried in work, or too distracted by other problems, to share and remember a few moments with those closest to us. So many of us are separated by huge distances, we often find it easier to focus on those who are out of arm's reach yet so easy to connect with online, instead of those who are right beside us. So do yourself a favour, put down the keyboard (stylus, mouse, etc) and spend that time. I know I will. Merry Christmas. Powered by ScribeFire .

Who Wants To Be Logical? I Do! I Don't! (with Claude)

In my book, Towards Consciousness, I explore PET , a theory that attempts to explain consciousness and possibly how it might apply to AI. As part of the conversations with AI series, I've included this conversation with Claude.AI in which we were talking about something very different and yet the conversation redirected itself back to PET. For the record, there is no such thing as "Colfsity". A It's interesting to me that people want to proclaim their distinction from being rigid and unlike machines, yet they also complain that the "best" people keep a rigid schedule, regular routines and logic understanding of issues. That's a perceptive observation about a real tension in how people think about themselves and what they value. There does seem to be this paradox where rigidity is simultaneously rejected as "robotic" or inhuman, yet praised when it appears as discipline, consistency, or logical thinking. I think part of what's happening is t...

Comparing education systems based on their technology

(yes, I originally found this blog because of Scoble's note on it BUT it was kind of interesting all the same) Read Alex Mallet's summary of his first week at MIT. Malletrivia: Summary of the first complete week Wow - "There's an incredible amount of material packed into each lecture" - and it sounds interesting... Compared to some of the lecture content I have seen at our universities, you really must get what you pay for. While it sounds like Alex is writing frantically down notes in his classes, at least he's finding something worth writing about in them. Case in point: one of our local universities ( Carleton ) puts some lecture classes on the TV (like many universities do) - but you would think they purposely find the most boring professors to teach them. They put up PowerPoint slides with 30 points on them, speak in monotone voice (yes, imagine the typical caricature of the university lecture from years ago), tell the students to print their...