Skip to main content

Shedding Some Light on shedding some light

Rick points out some great new additions to Bob's Southwest Fox 2006. He notes some of the great new speakers that were just added to the list but also about every attendee getting $150 in dbi Dollars. That's a great opportunity especially considering that dbi is offering some of their controls as part of Sedna (so be sure NOT to use those dbi Dollars on those six controls).

While perusing the site, I found this post of Rick's, which is a very good read, especially for those developers or consultants who feel the need to pull out conspiracy theories.

As Rick noted "this blog is not read by everyone" - but just by posting re-links to it keeps a valuable discussion going. Rick's Shedding Some Light is a great blog and his report on Craig at the DAFUG was awesome!

It's tough to keep up with everything because there are so many feeds to read. I keep on putting posts that I want to make into my drafts folder because I just don't have all the time to get them into a form that I'm happy with.

This isn't just a post about linking to Rick's blog though - there have been stories that were posted six months ago that become popular again only once someone links to them. A lot of FoxPro developers are hard at work on some truly great things and when they put them out, they expect a thundershower of activity but it doesn't come. Instead, it comes slowly as more and more people find out about them. I've written about some of them, others have written about others but all are appreciated.

Keep them coming!
Shedding Some Light: Southwest Fox 2006 - More revelations

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas

Whether you celebrate now, have already celebrated your past holiday, are planning to, or not, I hope you find yourself surrounded by family and those you love during this holiday season and are able to remember fondly those who are not with you. We often find ourselves buried in work, or too distracted by other problems, to share and remember a few moments with those closest to us. So many of us are separated by huge distances, we often find it easier to focus on those who are out of arm's reach yet so easy to connect with online, instead of those who are right beside us. So do yourself a favour, put down the keyboard (stylus, mouse, etc) and spend that time. I know I will. Merry Christmas. Powered by ScribeFire .

Who Wants To Be Logical? I Do! I Don't! (with Claude)

In my book, Towards Consciousness, I explore PET , a theory that attempts to explain consciousness and possibly how it might apply to AI. As part of the conversations with AI series, I've included this conversation with Claude.AI in which we were talking about something very different and yet the conversation redirected itself back to PET. For the record, there is no such thing as "Colfsity". A It's interesting to me that people want to proclaim their distinction from being rigid and unlike machines, yet they also complain that the "best" people keep a rigid schedule, regular routines and logic understanding of issues. That's a perceptive observation about a real tension in how people think about themselves and what they value. There does seem to be this paradox where rigidity is simultaneously rejected as "robotic" or inhuman, yet praised when it appears as discipline, consistency, or logical thinking. I think part of what's happening is t...

Comparing education systems based on their technology

(yes, I originally found this blog because of Scoble's note on it BUT it was kind of interesting all the same) Read Alex Mallet's summary of his first week at MIT. Malletrivia: Summary of the first complete week Wow - "There's an incredible amount of material packed into each lecture" - and it sounds interesting... Compared to some of the lecture content I have seen at our universities, you really must get what you pay for. While it sounds like Alex is writing frantically down notes in his classes, at least he's finding something worth writing about in them. Case in point: one of our local universities ( Carleton ) puts some lecture classes on the TV (like many universities do) - but you would think they purposely find the most boring professors to teach them. They put up PowerPoint slides with 30 points on them, speak in monotone voice (yes, imagine the typical caricature of the university lecture from years ago), tell the students to print their...