Skip to main content

Online Databases Start Sprouting Everywhere

Update: Since 37 Signals doesn't do a lot of Backpack anymore, here's a link to an alternatives page.

Even more so, here's a link to my most recent posts about online databases.
I'm going to post a lot more on this in a bit but Rick's post
fiat volpes: Library Thing pushed me a little ahead.

It used to be that the first thing developers created with their databases were the local things that made them happy. One of my first mentors was introduced to FoxPro by building a hockey pool and come on - admit it - your music collection is likely in a FoxPro table somewhere.

But now, in 2006, it's expanding greatly. Open tools and databases like Ruby on Rails are making it easier and easier for developers to build online shareable databases.

Sure, Google introduced GoogleBase but many think it's just a way to compete with CraigsList. To be honest, I'm not that impressed with it.

But I AM impressed with DabbleDB.

No, it's likely not going to be the solution for mission critical tools but the ability to create online databases, share them, filter them and more takes the concepts found in Backpack and the other 37Signals stuff and then makes them THAT much more cool. (I can create an online database in a few minutes and then share it with other users who can then read, write or even build their own (all security controlled).

What's even better? You can get a free account for a month to try it out. But even so, it's pricing isn't that bad - $5/month for 3 applications.

The terminology takes a bit to get used to:

Applications -> Databases
Categories -> Tables
Entries -> Rows

But the UI is really cool - they do have a video but I think I'll be doing my own soon
Now what's missing?

Reports - do you really need reports on an online database? Absolutely. but hey - it's got an XML feed which means all it will take is for a tool to read in the XML and then produce the necessary reports.

Performance - I haven't completed full tests on Dabble but will be soon.

Validation - it's hard to do custom rule validation but I'm sure that will be coming soon.

So now, you can build your databases and then share it directly over the web. Instantly.

Why isn't there a similar solution for FoxPro that uses West Wind, AFP or ActiveVFP being created?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Wants To Be Logical? I Do! I Don't! (with Claude)

In my book, Towards Consciousness, I explore PET , a theory that attempts to explain consciousness and possibly how it might apply to AI. As part of the conversations with AI series, I've included this conversation with Claude.AI in which we were talking about something very different and yet the conversation redirected itself back to PET. For the record, there is no such thing as "Colfsity". A It's interesting to me that people want to proclaim their distinction from being rigid and unlike machines, yet they also complain that the "best" people keep a rigid schedule, regular routines and logic understanding of issues. That's a perceptive observation about a real tension in how people think about themselves and what they value. There does seem to be this paradox where rigidity is simultaneously rejected as "robotic" or inhuman, yet praised when it appears as discipline, consistency, or logical thinking. I think part of what's happening is t...

Merry Christmas

Whether you celebrate now, have already celebrated your past holiday, are planning to, or not, I hope you find yourself surrounded by family and those you love during this holiday season and are able to remember fondly those who are not with you. We often find ourselves buried in work, or too distracted by other problems, to share and remember a few moments with those closest to us. So many of us are separated by huge distances, we often find it easier to focus on those who are out of arm's reach yet so easy to connect with online, instead of those who are right beside us. So do yourself a favour, put down the keyboard (stylus, mouse, etc) and spend that time. I know I will. Merry Christmas. Powered by ScribeFire .

Comparing education systems based on their technology

(yes, I originally found this blog because of Scoble's note on it BUT it was kind of interesting all the same) Read Alex Mallet's summary of his first week at MIT. Malletrivia: Summary of the first complete week Wow - "There's an incredible amount of material packed into each lecture" - and it sounds interesting... Compared to some of the lecture content I have seen at our universities, you really must get what you pay for. While it sounds like Alex is writing frantically down notes in his classes, at least he's finding something worth writing about in them. Case in point: one of our local universities ( Carleton ) puts some lecture classes on the TV (like many universities do) - but you would think they purposely find the most boring professors to teach them. They put up PowerPoint slides with 30 points on them, speak in monotone voice (yes, imagine the typical caricature of the university lecture from years ago), tell the students to print their...