Skip to main content

Andy Kramek: Morituri te salutant

Wow - he doesn't post for a month but when he does...

So after at least one swipe at Advisor, Andy and Marcia are moving the Kitbox from FoxTalk over to Advisor. (a revolution from within may begin... )

The why is one of those not well-guarded secrets in the FoxPro world. FoxTalk was recently taken over by Eli Research who adopted their own formatting guidelines fairly tight restrictions(see comment) over the writers and editors. With such a wild bunch as the FoxPro community, it only stood to reason that some more shakeups would occur.

FoxPro Advisor now gets two of the best writers around - what a great coup - because the KitBox is one of the best reads around.

It's going to be interesting - Advisor may become more like FoxTalk and FoxTalk may become more like Advisor with its new layout.

The result? More FoxPro articles abound for all developers to read and we, the community, are wealthier for it.

Andy Kramek : Morituri te salutant (Those who are about to die, salute you)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm not sure that "fairly tight restrictions" over writers is fully accurate. Just as Ragan had its own formatting standards across its journals, Eli Research has its own formatting. For example, figures were numbered under Ragan, but lettered under Eli Research. There were a few other formatting changes, but the Kit Box was exempted from most of them.

I think this is mostly about the fact that some people have the need to react a certain way to minor changes that wouldn't bother most people. I understand that; people react in different ways, and they do what they have to do, based on what's right for them.

We certainly regret Andy's and Marcia's leaving, and wish we had had more of a chance to respond to any concerns that they had.

We'll do our best to continue to accommodate the needs of top-notch VFP writers, and to be attentive to the suggestions and wishes of our subscribers.
Andrew MacNeill said…
Thanks for the corrections - I've revised my posting to be a little more accurate.

I look forward to seeing what the new FoxTalk looks like.

Popular posts from this blog

Who Wants To Be Logical? I Do! I Don't! (with Claude)

In my book, Towards Consciousness, I explore PET , a theory that attempts to explain consciousness and possibly how it might apply to AI. As part of the conversations with AI series, I've included this conversation with Claude.AI in which we were talking about something very different and yet the conversation redirected itself back to PET. For the record, there is no such thing as "Colfsity". A It's interesting to me that people want to proclaim their distinction from being rigid and unlike machines, yet they also complain that the "best" people keep a rigid schedule, regular routines and logic understanding of issues. That's a perceptive observation about a real tension in how people think about themselves and what they value. There does seem to be this paradox where rigidity is simultaneously rejected as "robotic" or inhuman, yet praised when it appears as discipline, consistency, or logical thinking. I think part of what's happening is t...

Merry Christmas

Whether you celebrate now, have already celebrated your past holiday, are planning to, or not, I hope you find yourself surrounded by family and those you love during this holiday season and are able to remember fondly those who are not with you. We often find ourselves buried in work, or too distracted by other problems, to share and remember a few moments with those closest to us. So many of us are separated by huge distances, we often find it easier to focus on those who are out of arm's reach yet so easy to connect with online, instead of those who are right beside us. So do yourself a favour, put down the keyboard (stylus, mouse, etc) and spend that time. I know I will. Merry Christmas. Powered by ScribeFire .

Comparing education systems based on their technology

(yes, I originally found this blog because of Scoble's note on it BUT it was kind of interesting all the same) Read Alex Mallet's summary of his first week at MIT. Malletrivia: Summary of the first complete week Wow - "There's an incredible amount of material packed into each lecture" - and it sounds interesting... Compared to some of the lecture content I have seen at our universities, you really must get what you pay for. While it sounds like Alex is writing frantically down notes in his classes, at least he's finding something worth writing about in them. Case in point: one of our local universities ( Carleton ) puts some lecture classes on the TV (like many universities do) - but you would think they purposely find the most boring professors to teach them. They put up PowerPoint slides with 30 points on them, speak in monotone voice (yes, imagine the typical caricature of the university lecture from years ago), tell the students to print their...