Skip to main content

MAKE: Blog: Audible does Podcasts - the complete guide (and HOW TO)

Phillip goes through Audible's podcasting support in great detail noting a great many of the issues with it.

I think I may have the same problem with the formats, especially if iTunes does this as well. Right now, I'm preparing for a day visit to Montreal and am loading my Pocket PC with podcasts. If I had downloaded an ACC file, I would be out of luck.

Podcasts as a distribution method need to be free (unless they ARE DRM'd - not the other way around). All of the companies offering this need to figure that out a bit better, if Phillip's take is any indication.

MAKE: Blog: Audible does Podcasts - the complete guide (and HOW TO)

Comments

Ted Roche said…
"Podcasts as a distribution method need to be free (unless they ARE DRM'd - not the other way around)."

Free as in... ?

If you mean the audio codec needs to be free from patents and encumbrances, then you would need to use .OGG, since MP#s are a patented technology of Fraunhaufer that can only be used with a paid license (your media player vendor paid it). Or do you mean "free" as in "not AAC?" Isn't that why it's a PODcast?
Andrew MacNeill said…
"free" as a distribution method.

A "podcast" does not require an iPod despite the name.

The issue that I had was that if I download a podcast from Audible, it needs to be done so that I can easily move it to my device for listening.

If you read Phillip's guide, you'll see that because Audible DRMs them.
From the article:
"Now on to some bad news for folks like me. You can't convert the file you bought to MP3. Since I have a ton of devices that support MP3, but not AA, I'm out of luck. You can burn the file to a CD, but from what I've read, you can only do that once. I tend to think the type of customer who buy audio over the web is pretty good with computers and if they have many computers, MP3 playing phones, etc...

There are, or "were" programs to convert the AA format to MP3, but it seems like Audible went after them?"

He then went on to copy the file to his PC and try it from there, but once again it wouldn't work.

I think this is going to be the issue with getting the larger software to support podcasts properly and in some way you can understand it.

If they are going to make the changes in their infrastructure to support Podcasting, then they should have the "right"(?) to want it to run on their own system.

Audible's approach will likely work best for those authors who choose to do podcasts through their network to make $$.

On your other point, Ted, I didn't mean that the codec should be pree from patents - just the distribution method.

On that note, I heard..(oh I'll just post about it - excellent talk by Lawrence Lessig)

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas

Whether you celebrate now, have already celebrated your past holiday, are planning to, or not, I hope you find yourself surrounded by family and those you love during this holiday season and are able to remember fondly those who are not with you. We often find ourselves buried in work, or too distracted by other problems, to share and remember a few moments with those closest to us. So many of us are separated by huge distances, we often find it easier to focus on those who are out of arm's reach yet so easy to connect with online, instead of those who are right beside us. So do yourself a favour, put down the keyboard (stylus, mouse, etc) and spend that time. I know I will. Merry Christmas. Powered by ScribeFire .

Who Wants To Be Logical? I Do! I Don't! (with Claude)

In my book, Towards Consciousness, I explore PET , a theory that attempts to explain consciousness and possibly how it might apply to AI. As part of the conversations with AI series, I've included this conversation with Claude.AI in which we were talking about something very different and yet the conversation redirected itself back to PET. For the record, there is no such thing as "Colfsity". A It's interesting to me that people want to proclaim their distinction from being rigid and unlike machines, yet they also complain that the "best" people keep a rigid schedule, regular routines and logic understanding of issues. That's a perceptive observation about a real tension in how people think about themselves and what they value. There does seem to be this paradox where rigidity is simultaneously rejected as "robotic" or inhuman, yet praised when it appears as discipline, consistency, or logical thinking. I think part of what's happening is t...

From Writing to AI: the pattern repeats itself

When I was ten years old, my dad bought a computer and, thanks to an advertising supplement in a Superman comic I read, it was a TRS-80. A month later, he dragged the entire family (my mom and brother were not the most enthusiastic) to a class at Radio Shack teaching how to use microcomputers. At the time, I understood why my mom wasn’t that excited: the computer was yet another gadget in the house. But today I find it fascinating. My mother went to Vassar in the 50s. She learned how to type — not a common skill at the time — but it opened doors. Her ability to communicate effectively led her to a career in adult education and later communications work with the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). This isn’t a nostalgia post. Today, the ability to use artificial intelligence, be it through Copilot or simply writing the right prompt, is becoming a critical skill. But is it really that novel? In the 1500s and 1600s, the printing press gradually made reading accessible beyond cler...