Skip to main content

Yag Moves On

I noted this from Alex Feldstein but Y. Alan Griver (yag), VSData guru at MS and Visual FoxPro CodeBook architect is moving out of the VSData group but will still work within the VFP group.

Instead he's going to be working on the FUN stuff - the community projects, something that he knows all too well.

AND he introduces us to his own personal blog.

My thought on this? As noted above, he's going where the fun is. Coming from the FoxPro community, he knows that this is where a lot of the absolutely amazing innovations will take place (no one at Fox or MS could have foreseen some of the cool stuff that those in the community have done - except until they all got hired by MS) - so I think it's great that someone who KNOWS how to help foster innovation is moving into that area.

Am I attempting to spin this? Yes and no. 1) I'm trying to counteract what I'm sure a lot of people will say but also more importantly, I see this possibly being like a turf war about data vs. coding and with LINQ and the other data tools, the latest shots have been fired and now it's time to really make the difference.

Where's the best place to make the difference? Hopefully in his new role.

Looking forward to seeing his posts "on the new position, Visual FoxPro, life, the universe and everything." (wait - I thought VFP was supposed to be everything?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas

Whether you celebrate now, have already celebrated your past holiday, are planning to, or not, I hope you find yourself surrounded by family and those you love during this holiday season and are able to remember fondly those who are not with you. We often find ourselves buried in work, or too distracted by other problems, to share and remember a few moments with those closest to us. So many of us are separated by huge distances, we often find it easier to focus on those who are out of arm's reach yet so easy to connect with online, instead of those who are right beside us. So do yourself a favour, put down the keyboard (stylus, mouse, etc) and spend that time. I know I will. Merry Christmas. Powered by ScribeFire .

Who Wants To Be Logical? I Do! I Don't! (with Claude)

In my book, Towards Consciousness, I explore PET , a theory that attempts to explain consciousness and possibly how it might apply to AI. As part of the conversations with AI series, I've included this conversation with Claude.AI in which we were talking about something very different and yet the conversation redirected itself back to PET. For the record, there is no such thing as "Colfsity". A It's interesting to me that people want to proclaim their distinction from being rigid and unlike machines, yet they also complain that the "best" people keep a rigid schedule, regular routines and logic understanding of issues. That's a perceptive observation about a real tension in how people think about themselves and what they value. There does seem to be this paradox where rigidity is simultaneously rejected as "robotic" or inhuman, yet praised when it appears as discipline, consistency, or logical thinking. I think part of what's happening is t...

Programmers vs. Developers vs. Architects

I received an email this morning from Brandon Savage 's newsletter. Brandon's a PHP guru (works at Mozilla) but his newsletter and books have some great overall perspectives for developers of all languages. However, this last one (What's the difference between developers and architects?) kind of rubs me the wrong way. Either that, or I've just missed the natural inflation of job descriptions. (maybe, it's like the change in terminology between Garbage man and Waste Engineer or Secretary and Office Administrator) So maybe it's just me - but I think there's still a big difference between Programmer, Developer and then of course, architect. The key thing here is that every role has a different perspective and every one of those perspectives has value. The original MSF create roles like Product Manager, Program Manager, Developer, Tester, etc - so every concept may pigeon hole people into different roles. But the statements Brandon makes are often distinction...