Skip to main content

Runtime Coverage - another VFP 9 Rocks Feature!

Yesterday, I came across another reason why VFP 9 totally rocks above older versions.

I've been aware of it for a while but it struck me at once as to how useful this is, especially at customer sites.

SET COVERAGE TO lets you track how long each line of code is taking. It's used by the VFP Coverage Profiler for both seeing how much of your code you are using and how long it takes.

SET COVERAGE TO xxx.LOG turns it on and outputs all code execution to xxx.log
SET COVERAGE TO turns it off.

In VFP 8 and earlier, you had to be running the Development version of VFP to see the results. This has its problems - as usually, the problems never seem to occur on the Developer's machine but on the end-user's machine.

In VFP 9, however, you can issue a SET COVERAGE TO statement and it will start logging the code even in runtime!

This became extremely valuable yesterday when we were debugging a program that was running as a Windows XP service. It would stop running and we couldn't figure out why. Instead of just providing additional logging messages and overbloating the code - I issued a SET COVERAGE TO in one of the programming hooks I had put into the code and voila! instant access as to what was running and when.

You wouldn't want to do this on a regular basis - running with COVERAGE turned on can create a very large file in a matter of seconds - so be sure to turn it off. But what a benefit to have at the right time!

I also used it earlier this week to track down some performance problems that only seemed to be happening at a customer site. Many times, developers think of debugging tools as to be only accessible within the IDE. Thankfully, in VFP 9, your code can be covered just about wherever it needs to be.



powered by performancing firefox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas

Whether you celebrate now, have already celebrated your past holiday, are planning to, or not, I hope you find yourself surrounded by family and those you love during this holiday season and are able to remember fondly those who are not with you. We often find ourselves buried in work, or too distracted by other problems, to share and remember a few moments with those closest to us. So many of us are separated by huge distances, we often find it easier to focus on those who are out of arm's reach yet so easy to connect with online, instead of those who are right beside us. So do yourself a favour, put down the keyboard (stylus, mouse, etc) and spend that time. I know I will. Merry Christmas. Powered by ScribeFire .

Who Wants To Be Logical? I Do! I Don't! (with Claude)

In my book, Towards Consciousness, I explore PET , a theory that attempts to explain consciousness and possibly how it might apply to AI. As part of the conversations with AI series, I've included this conversation with Claude.AI in which we were talking about something very different and yet the conversation redirected itself back to PET. For the record, there is no such thing as "Colfsity". A It's interesting to me that people want to proclaim their distinction from being rigid and unlike machines, yet they also complain that the "best" people keep a rigid schedule, regular routines and logic understanding of issues. That's a perceptive observation about a real tension in how people think about themselves and what they value. There does seem to be this paradox where rigidity is simultaneously rejected as "robotic" or inhuman, yet praised when it appears as discipline, consistency, or logical thinking. I think part of what's happening is t...

Comparing education systems based on their technology

(yes, I originally found this blog because of Scoble's note on it BUT it was kind of interesting all the same) Read Alex Mallet's summary of his first week at MIT. Malletrivia: Summary of the first complete week Wow - "There's an incredible amount of material packed into each lecture" - and it sounds interesting... Compared to some of the lecture content I have seen at our universities, you really must get what you pay for. While it sounds like Alex is writing frantically down notes in his classes, at least he's finding something worth writing about in them. Case in point: one of our local universities ( Carleton ) puts some lecture classes on the TV (like many universities do) - but you would think they purposely find the most boring professors to teach them. They put up PowerPoint slides with 30 points on them, speak in monotone voice (yes, imagine the typical caricature of the university lecture from years ago), tell the students to print their...