Skip to main content

That Darn Outlook PST (Chris Pirillo)

I'm with Chris on this one. Case in point: my server hard drive was getting close to full so I decided to clean up some stuff.

Removed about 10 GB of storage. Now I try to load up Outlook that runs with 4 different PSTs, NewsGator, Tasklineand the new Google and MSN search.

And wait....and wait...and wait...

So I cancel it out. It says "Newsgator is to blame" so I disable that.

Now I try again. and wait and wait and wait....

Makes me glad that I use gmail as my email backup and forward all emails there - at least I won't be completely OUT of pocket.

And all this after I've rebuilt my PSTs in the past 2 months.

I realize Chris notes that he was close to the 2GB limit - but me? I'm talking two or three PSTs that are under 500MB each. Maybe Outlook is still choking because of the TOTAL MB.

My big concern right now is that even though I use Newsgator online - what happens if these great posts disappear off the web? I always like to have them at least in archive format.

Anyone found a news aggregator for Thunderbird? Oh yeah, I forgot - it already HAS one built into it.

That Darn Outlook PST (Chris Pirillo)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas

Whether you celebrate now, have already celebrated your past holiday, are planning to, or not, I hope you find yourself surrounded by family and those you love during this holiday season and are able to remember fondly those who are not with you. We often find ourselves buried in work, or too distracted by other problems, to share and remember a few moments with those closest to us. So many of us are separated by huge distances, we often find it easier to focus on those who are out of arm's reach yet so easy to connect with online, instead of those who are right beside us. So do yourself a favour, put down the keyboard (stylus, mouse, etc) and spend that time. I know I will. Merry Christmas. Powered by ScribeFire .

Who Wants To Be Logical? I Do! I Don't! (with Claude)

In my book, Towards Consciousness, I explore PET , a theory that attempts to explain consciousness and possibly how it might apply to AI. As part of the conversations with AI series, I've included this conversation with Claude.AI in which we were talking about something very different and yet the conversation redirected itself back to PET. For the record, there is no such thing as "Colfsity". A It's interesting to me that people want to proclaim their distinction from being rigid and unlike machines, yet they also complain that the "best" people keep a rigid schedule, regular routines and logic understanding of issues. That's a perceptive observation about a real tension in how people think about themselves and what they value. There does seem to be this paradox where rigidity is simultaneously rejected as "robotic" or inhuman, yet praised when it appears as discipline, consistency, or logical thinking. I think part of what's happening is t...

Comparing education systems based on their technology

(yes, I originally found this blog because of Scoble's note on it BUT it was kind of interesting all the same) Read Alex Mallet's summary of his first week at MIT. Malletrivia: Summary of the first complete week Wow - "There's an incredible amount of material packed into each lecture" - and it sounds interesting... Compared to some of the lecture content I have seen at our universities, you really must get what you pay for. While it sounds like Alex is writing frantically down notes in his classes, at least he's finding something worth writing about in them. Case in point: one of our local universities ( Carleton ) puts some lecture classes on the TV (like many universities do) - but you would think they purposely find the most boring professors to teach them. They put up PowerPoint slides with 30 points on them, speak in monotone voice (yes, imagine the typical caricature of the university lecture from years ago), tell the students to print their...