Skip to main content

David Stevenson's Talking Fox: Sedna and the Future of Visual FoxPro: Interview with Ken Levy and Alan Griver

David Stevenson has posted his entire interview with Ken and Yag on Sedna (no longer the tenth planet) and the future of Visual foxPro.

Great stuff David.

I find it interesting that Alan Griver is referring to the decision to support Vista with Sedna to be akin to shifting from DOS to Windows or from 16 to 32 bits.

I hope that is to do with the XAML support that Ken showed in his Channel 9 video.

My favorite part of the Interview:
"People always talk about programming languages being written in themselves. The .NET framework was written in C# and in VB. More and more parts of Visual Studio are now written in the managed (.NET) languages. It’s the same reason that anything that we add for ourselves benefits our customers. This means that if we add new extensibility capabilities in Sedna and we prove how much can be done – you know, if we can do half the things we defined in Sedna without touching the core product, you know what, Fox is a hell of a product."


David Stevenson's Talking Fox: Sedna and the Future of Visual FoxPro: Interview with Ken Levy and Alan Griver

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas

Whether you celebrate now, have already celebrated your past holiday, are planning to, or not, I hope you find yourself surrounded by family and those you love during this holiday season and are able to remember fondly those who are not with you. We often find ourselves buried in work, or too distracted by other problems, to share and remember a few moments with those closest to us. So many of us are separated by huge distances, we often find it easier to focus on those who are out of arm's reach yet so easy to connect with online, instead of those who are right beside us. So do yourself a favour, put down the keyboard (stylus, mouse, etc) and spend that time. I know I will. Merry Christmas. Powered by ScribeFire .

Who Wants To Be Logical? I Do! I Don't! (with Claude)

In my book, Towards Consciousness, I explore PET , a theory that attempts to explain consciousness and possibly how it might apply to AI. As part of the conversations with AI series, I've included this conversation with Claude.AI in which we were talking about something very different and yet the conversation redirected itself back to PET. For the record, there is no such thing as "Colfsity". A It's interesting to me that people want to proclaim their distinction from being rigid and unlike machines, yet they also complain that the "best" people keep a rigid schedule, regular routines and logic understanding of issues. That's a perceptive observation about a real tension in how people think about themselves and what they value. There does seem to be this paradox where rigidity is simultaneously rejected as "robotic" or inhuman, yet praised when it appears as discipline, consistency, or logical thinking. I think part of what's happening is t...

From Writing to AI: the pattern repeats itself

When I was ten years old, my dad bought a computer and, thanks to an advertising supplement in a Superman comic I read, it was a TRS-80. A month later, he dragged the entire family (my mom and brother were not the most enthusiastic) to a class at Radio Shack teaching how to use microcomputers. At the time, I understood why my mom wasn’t that excited: the computer was yet another gadget in the house. But today I find it fascinating. My mother went to Vassar in the 50s. She learned how to type — not a common skill at the time — but it opened doors. Her ability to communicate effectively led her to a career in adult education and later communications work with the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). This isn’t a nostalgia post. Today, the ability to use artificial intelligence, be it through Copilot or simply writing the right prompt, is becoming a critical skill. But is it really that novel? In the 1500s and 1600s, the printing press gradually made reading accessible beyond cler...