Skip to main content

Office 2007 Setup Woes

So I was all set to install Office 2007 a few days ago, fresh from the MSDN download but when I first tried it , I got the "This setup is for a different language" message.

Hmph - have to redownload.

So today I finally got around to it.

Step 1 - You have to uninstall the previous beta version. (maybe MS shouldn't release real public betas anymore - I can only imagine regular users getting that message and becoming frustrated. (yes - I KNOW that regular users shouldn't be using the beta but when the habit "du jour" is to promote betas instead of releasing new products, it shouldn't be a big surprise))

Step 2 - During the uninstall, you should stop this program. Only problem? They didn't tell me what program so I had to arbitrarily decide which applications to stop. I think it may have been Google Desktop but I could be wrong.

Step 3 - Into the Install. Five minutes in - Office Setup couldn't find one of the files. Huh? I'm installing this from a FOLDER on the computer itself. And then it tells me to look in Office 10's help file. But the best part? After saying it was rolling back the changes, it then said I had to reboot. Reboot what? It didn't DO anything. I'm with Craig on this one - APPLICATION INSTALLS SHOULD NEVER, EVER REQUIRE A REBOOT. But even more so, APPLICATION FAILED INSTALLS SHOULD NEVER, EVER REQUIRE A REBOOT.

Step 4 - Restarted the machine. The Start menu said "New programs installed." Looked in the start menu and wow! There is Office 2007.

Go figure. Guess I did need to restart after all.

Maybe this is something that can be fixed BEFORE Office 2007 is available for the general public.

Add to my del.icio.us

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Andrew!
Could you send two screenshots (one for silver and other for black theme) from Outlook 2007 left shortcut bar to me?
I want to implement these new themes in Outlook2003Bar.
Tks!

Emerson Santon Reed
emerson_reed at hotmail dot com

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs and RSS come to Microsoft.com

MS has just introduced their portal and it's pretty comprehensive. Nothing quite like learning that some people use AIM instead of MSN messenger, or that there really may be a need for supporting 4 monitors ( Cyrus Complains ) However, it's really a great sign that MS is serious about supporting the blogging community which seems to have um, exploded in size in the past year. Blogs and RSS come to Microsoft.com

FoxInCloud Stats

FoxInCloud sent this link a while back about their statistics regarding visits to their site: http://foxincloud.com/blog/2017/12/27/VFP-community-lessons-from-foxincloud-site.html What's interesting here is the breakdown of people. Yes, I think it's understandable that the Fox community is getting older. Another factor is the growth of the mobile and web environments taking over development. These environments really do push people towards the newer non-SQL or free SQL/hosted environments but more towards hosted storage options like Amazon and Google. A tool like FoxInCloud that helps MOVE existing applications to the cloud inherently competes with those environments. But FoxInCloud also allows developers to extend their application further by giving them a starting point using Javascript and the basic CSS (such as Bootstrap). If you're not rebuilding your application from scratch, it's certainly a great step forward. FoxPro VFP

Facebook Revolt - imeem alternatives?

When Scoble noted how Facebook under major revolt , I immediately thought of a site I found yesterday. The value offered by Facebook's feeds however do seem very cool - if only they had been smart and made them opt-in, instead of opt-out. I have been impressed though with Facebook's opening of their API's - they certainly get it that they need to open it up to developers. I haven't really explored this other site, beyond my first look. In some ways, I think the whole social networking site thing is just silly , but this site (imeem) definitely showed some value. I could find music (as posted by the artist), it worked in Firefox and it allowed people to rank, add to delicious and more. And when I'm looking at someone, I can see what they're up to (or rather what they allow us to see). Anyways, you may want to check it out.