Skip to main content

Apple's design kills my own "multi-functional hand-held"

As I look over at these drawings, I went over to my filing cabinet and pulled out a rendition I had done up over 15 years ago (maybe even longer - it was before I was doing Fox stuff) of what I thought should be Apple's first "mobile" device. ( I was going to scan it but then thought better of it since Apple's lawyers would probably be all over the "Apple" logo I thought looked cool on it).

Keyboard? Who needs one. From my spec: "A speech digitizer and microphone would record users' comments for layer playback or communications with other users via modem. Microphone would be activated by pressing either of the side buttoms making it easy for both left and right handed people. Speech would be sampled allowing for clear but not stereo quality...compression similar to MACE...one pressed, a control on the screen would relay the digitized message back through the headset or a small speaker"

Oh yeah - but a hand drawn note then said "Extra jack can be used for additional keyboard"

All touch screen and the only buttons on the device would switch you into different "modes" such as modem, day timer or phone numbers.

The neat part was the three jacks : headphone, one for a radio (cellular) antenna and another for direct modem communications.

My vision was that I could record my comments, send them and then software on the receiving end would either a) convert them into text or b) just let them be played.

Total size? 6 inches by 3inches.

Wow - how the world has changed - or has it? Granted, I didn't originally think about video (which is part of what Apple is apparently revealing on Tuesday for their iPods) - and who needs a direct modem jack in this world. But everytime I hear about new patent drawings, I'm always drawn back to this old document.

The saddest thing? I have no DATE on this document. Nada - nothing - so unless I want to hire Dan Rather to do some print and paper dating, I would never be able to prove I had the idea of an "Apple handheld" first.

Ah - what the heck! Here is a quick capture of it:


I always think of all these great ideas that have come up in the past (Markus and I worked on an interactive Form Builder for within an application back in 1995) - things that were ideas that now slowly become reality. Go figure.

» Apple files patent for "multi-functional hand-held" | The Apple Core | ZDNet.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs and RSS come to Microsoft.com

MS has just introduced their portal and it's pretty comprehensive. Nothing quite like learning that some people use AIM instead of MSN messenger, or that there really may be a need for supporting 4 monitors ( Cyrus Complains ) However, it's really a great sign that MS is serious about supporting the blogging community which seems to have um, exploded in size in the past year. Blogs and RSS come to Microsoft.com

FoxInCloud Stats

FoxInCloud sent this link a while back about their statistics regarding visits to their site: http://foxincloud.com/blog/2017/12/27/VFP-community-lessons-from-foxincloud-site.html What's interesting here is the breakdown of people. Yes, I think it's understandable that the Fox community is getting older. Another factor is the growth of the mobile and web environments taking over development. These environments really do push people towards the newer non-SQL or free SQL/hosted environments but more towards hosted storage options like Amazon and Google. A tool like FoxInCloud that helps MOVE existing applications to the cloud inherently competes with those environments. But FoxInCloud also allows developers to extend their application further by giving them a starting point using Javascript and the basic CSS (such as Bootstrap). If you're not rebuilding your application from scratch, it's certainly a great step forward. FoxPro VFP

5 Great Reasons to attend Virtual FoxFest

What's coming up? Virtual FoxFest is coming up soon (sessions start October 14th). Like last year, the conference is entirely virtual yet includes great breakdown rooms and sessions to add that nice one-on-one feel that you get in person. It's also staggered so you can choose which days you want to attend - October 14th, 20th and 26th. This is great if you can't break away for a consecutive three days. But really, I've gone through the sessions and I see five great sessions that I'm eager to check out. 1. A Decade of Thor (Rick Schummer) Thor has been an extension for Visual FoxPro that many developers swear by, yet many don't know even exists. Visual FoxPro's built-in extensions are great but Jim Nelson's Thor supercharges your IDE. I can't believe it's been ten years - so Rick's session should be able to not just whet your appetite but give you all the reasons you should be using it. 2. VFP C++ compiler.  Last year, we saw DotNetX as well